Yeah, it’s September, fall my very favorite season is just around the corner. I am so ready for apple pie, pumpkin muffins and as much soup as my belly can handle. Also coming my way lots of glorious afternoons spent in my library with my fireplace on! Yes, fall I love you. Summer, well it was okay too, lots of fun, lots of great food. Even a few cute pictures of my kids like the one above of Autumn doing duck face, it must be human nature to do duck face when the camera is pointed your way. She’s cute, so I will share her all with you! Now on to the best of the best for August!
Best Cooking – Vegetarian Quiche, so tasty so delicious! One of my favorite foods (eggs) in it’s best form (Quiche). I love Quiche, and the addition of puff pastry in this recipe just made it oh so delectable!
Best Baking- Maybe cuz these are so fresh in my mind, as we just had them yesterday, but this recipe for Orange Muffins is so good. Great for a lunch side dish or a quick snack on the go, you just need to make these muffins. Trust me, have I ever lead you wrong before?
Best Dining Out- Don’t you just love eating out at a new restaurant and instantly you know it will become a family favorite. That is exactly what happened when we decided to try out the new pizzeria that just opened right by our house. Famoso not only had great pizza, soup, salad, it also serves a free scoop of gelato to anyone under age 12 who orders a meal. Happy kids equal happy mom. We will be back! Soon I hope!
See you next month!
I found these on my quest to find the perfect Cranberry Orange Muffin/Loaf and decided to give them a try even though they are cranberry free. Definitely the best orange muffin recipe I have come across so far. They were moist, flavorful, a wonderful addition to our vegetable soup that we had for dinner.
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Separate eggs, beat egg whites until peaks form, set aside.
2. Beat together the shortening and sugar until mixed. Add egg yolks. Mix until fully combined.
3. Mix together the orange juice, orange peel and extracts.
4. In separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and orange juice mixture until both have been mixed in.
5. Gently fold in egg whites. Fill 12 paper lined muffin cups with batter. Bake for 23 minutes at 375 degrees.
6. Eat and enjoy!